Monday, March 10, 2008

A "gift" from the fires...


The October wildfires were indeed a tragedy for nearly everyone in San Diego. I feel fortunate that the flames only came within about 2 miles from my house. So many others were not as fortunate.
If there's any good that has come out of the fires, it's the fact that the charred hillsides are starting to green up...and the wildflowers are in full bloom on them! It's sort of like a little gift left behind in the wake of destruction.
This photo was taken at Lake Hodges in Escondido, CA. The day the fires started, I was sitting in the middle of the lake in my kayak enjoying an afternoon paddle. At that time, the fires were miles away. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined that about 12 hours after I pulled by boat out of the water, the fires would have completely surrounded the lake and would continue racing westward.
It's hard to believe this hillside was a blackened, charred mess just weeks ago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill- I would love to talk to you about this bike some time. You can email me at bdowns@sebikes.com

rigtenzin said...

I came here from the 650B palace blog. The photo is beautiful. I recently visited San Diego and saw lots of fantastic terrain. I didn't get to ride, but it looks like there are beautiful trails everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Being a full-on 29'er guy, I'm curious, only curious about 650 bikes. By the way, this is a beautiful bike in a beautiful setting. Are they going to release a 29'er version just like it? I hope so. Especially in Europe.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful picture. It'll probably be on my desktop until spring gets here and I can take one of my own.